Elder Parker Thomas Alexander

Mexico, Torreon LDS Mission
June 30, 2010 - June 2012

parker.alexander@myldsmail.net
Elder Parker Thomas Alexander
Mission Mexico Torreon
Apartado Postal 792
Coahuila, 27000 Mexico

This blog is updated weekly by Parker's family.

Sunday, January 23, 2011

January 17, 2010

Hey guys!

Well, I’m back after another fairly crazy week, but before I start out, I want you all to know that God is for sure there and he works miracles today! On that note, let’s start out with my crazy week, but I’m gonna go backwards this time to liven things up a bit. Today was a great day....well it has been so far I suppose. We started out with the normal thing Zone Leaders do. We have this big conference call we do at 10 in the morning, and then after that, we went to go play some ball at one of the churches, but no one had a soccer ball or basketball so I ended up buying a ball and then when we got there, an elder brought his volleyball and so we played soccer with that... there aren’t a lot of Mexicans who like basketball and so yeah.. I’ve gotta say though, I did not do too bad at all. I actually scored a goal! haha I think that because I know Spanish now, I can play soccer better. Who knows? After that, my comp, who is hilarious, and I went to this store called aladinos because I was told by Elder Robb, the assistant, that they had IBC Root Beer.... They did. Also, I wrangled up some chocolate chips and rice krispies so it looks like... We’re gonna make some Scotcheroos! And now I’m writing you all to tell you about it! haha. Good day.

Yesterday.... This is kind of the climax of the week. We were gonna have this baptism, right? Well, we split up in the morning to go for investigators (I went with another missionary to pick up a really cool lady. (More on that later) and when Elder Chatu got to the church, the lady we were going to baptize wasn’t with him and he had a letter in his hand. Selene is her name. She wrote the letter to the two of us to say that she
wasn’t worthy to be baptized and she didn’t come. It was kind of lame, but that lady I went for came with her two grandkids. She'll definitely be baptized quickly. So we had been working with this investigator who has her boyfriend and is kind of eternal, but her boyfriend left her last week so she was gonna get baptized yesterday, but her boyfriend moved back on Thursday so that blew it. She really knows it’s true and the only thing that's been keeping her back is her marriage situations so..... after the services yesterday, she comes up to us glowing and says more or less... I'm going to be able to get baptized! I’m getting married Tuesday! She was soooooo happy! She was crying! It was cool! The Lord works in mysterious ways! But he works!

So Saturday... Awesome experience! It'll be hard to explain everything here in this letter, but we were contacting, knocking doors, when this lady answered and invited us in. Without even really talking to her to start things off, she just started pouring out her heart to us about all the problems she has and about how she has so much faith that God will help her, but she’s just in a bad place. She's an awesome lady. In the 10 minutes or so she was talking, something amazing happened... I began to really love this 60 year old lady I didn’t even know. I shared D&C 121 with her to comfort her and then we went into the plan of salvation and the purpose of everything in this life. It was so cool. We invited her to be baptized, she said yes. We told her the date of the 30th, she said yes. I really know that the most important part of teaching is really teaching with love. She says she's met with all sorts of people from different religions, but she feels differently with us. She said my face radiated with love.... I really can’t believe it. That’s the power of the spirit. I was just testifying as I was feeling this love for this lady and the love of my Savior for her. It’s something I've never experienced before, but this I know: If we feel the Spirit testifying to us or through us, we will feel of the love of the Savior for us, and then we will in turn love whoever we are talking to. It was just amazing. She’s like my little aunt or something now. She’s great!

Ok so the other cool thing that happened were the interviews. What happened was that the assistants came to give a mini conference and so we helped them by presenting this presentation to the zone and then the zone leaders are always the last ones to get interviewed so we just hung out talking to Sister Clark (who told me about mom’s hugs) and then at last he interviewed me for about two minutes. haha he just asked how I was and if I needed anything and I said I was happy and yeah... that was about it. He’s a great guy and has a great spirit about him. I’m glad he’s my mission President!

Well, that’s about it... This week, I want to study the Divine Gift of Gratitude by President Monson. I think it’s just what I need right now. haha I’m very grateful to you all for the support and prayers you have given me. I’m not just talking to my family on this one. Whoever is reading this, I want you to know I am grateful for you and I love you. The Lord truly has blessed me with a great family and amazing friends!

Moving on.... the wishlist I suppose. Umm... maybe in the next package, you could sent a quote book or something. I’m always looking for inspirational or just cool quotes. I think there’s one in Deseret book called The Missionary’s Little Quote Book or sumthin like that. and yeah... That’s it! Haha.


Love you all! Thanks!

Elder Alexander