Elder Parker Thomas Alexander

Mexico, Torreon LDS Mission
June 30, 2010 - June 2012

parker.alexander@myldsmail.net
Elder Parker Thomas Alexander
Mission Mexico Torreon
Apartado Postal 792
Coahuila, 27000 Mexico

This blog is updated weekly by Parker's family.

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas message to friends and family

December 20, 2010

Well, I just wanted to take some time today and wish all my friends and family members a Merry Christmas! I really hope that this is a season of togetherness with your family and a time where you can really remember our Savior, Jesus Christ. I know from experience that sometimes it's hard to keep the focus in the Christmas season on where we should be keeping the focus.

This is a pretty strange time for me... This is the first Christmas I'll have in my life without my family, without the lights of Temple Square and without the familiar "Santa Claus is Comin' to Town" or Rudolph cartoons that I'm so used to watching every year, but I know that none of that material stuff and none of the hustle and bustle of Christmas is important.

Some say that the Christmases in the mission don't feel like Christmas at all, and I would agree, but really, the mission is a perfect place and time to make the most memorable Christmas one can ever have. I have tried to devote these few weeks in my personal scripture study, for just a few minutes every day, on something about Christ. I've read Luke Chapter 2 in English and then again in Spanish and It's the same story no matter what language you read it in. It's a story that really shaped history.

I love in the Ensign this December, the First Presidency message. We really do need to remember to look for the things in life, and especially in the Christmas season, on the things that matter most, like our Savoir. I know it's something hard to do sometimes, but I also know that Jesus is the Christ and his birth was one of the most important things in the history of this world, as was his resurrection. Those two days have made it possible for all of the people in the world, all of our brothers and sisters, to have eternal life together with their families. As a missionary, it's my job to testify of these things to the people of Mexico. As your friend, brother, nephew,
or son, I testify to you personally because I know how important it is, that Jesus Christ was born to Mary in that manger so that we all can return to him one day. That is the most important thing in my life.


I want you to have a merry and a fun Christmas this year! Enjoy yourself. Make hot chocolate and sing Christmas carols! Give gifts! Drink Egg nog! Do everything you normaly do, but this Christmas, remember the Christ child in the manger. Remember his love for us. He does love us. Most of all, if you can, spend this Christmas with your loved ones and family. That's really where it's all at.

Have a very Merry Christmas and God bless you!

Elder Parker Alexander

No comments:

Post a Comment